Sunday, April 17, 2011

Procrastination is key


It’s late on Monday night, three weeks before my freshman year at Clemson is over (I can’t believe it) and it is taking everything in me to study for the test I have tomorrow at 5 pm. By this point of the year I’m honestly just ready for summer and so over the idea of doing any kind of schoolwork. So, while I should be studying for my stat exam, I decided to instead write this blog. This is a prime example of how the internet and other sorts of technology have become so distracting in today’s society. I’ve been on my computer on facebook and twitter, I’ve been texting my friends, sending out important Emails and distracting myself on StumbleUpon all night; basically doing anything I can to avoid any students worst nightmare… studying. Modern communication is not only a great way to procrastinate when you have a huge test the next day, but it is important in everyday life. If we didn’t have these kinds of tools we would have a much harder time keeping up with old friends, talking to family members back home and being able to see what all is going on. Another thing that has become extremely popular and helpful since I’ve been in college is skype. I love talking to all of my friends from high school on the phone but being able to actually see them on the screen is so much easier and more fun. Skype is probably the most recent addition to the communication world and really helps during nights like this when I choose to chat with my best friends over doing anything that is the least bit productive. The time I spend on all of these websites could definitely be put to better use but what is college without procrastination and wasting time?  Even when there is nothing to look at on facebook or twitter people just get on it and stare at the screen, scrolling through unimportant wall posts and conversations; society has become so obsessed and dependent on these networking sites that they are almost unavoidable. The sad thing is, even when there is no computer around to get on, we now either get on our phones for facebook, twitter, and even skype on some phones. It is too easy to get distracted by all of these sites, so why study when there are so many other, more interesting and fun options? Who needs studying when you can stalk people’s pictures on facebook? Story of my life. 

-Kimberly Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment