Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Old times

Summer is sneaking up on me this year. Throughout high school I always counted down the days until the summer, when I would no longer have to deal with the boringness and busy work of school. There is no doubt that I am ready to get exams over with and be out on good ol Lake Murray with friends and family, but one thing I will definitely miss is all of my new friends I have met thus far at Clemson.
If it weren’t for modern communication I wouldn’t be able to be in touch or stay in contact with any of my new friends who live in all over parts of the country. After spending everyday with these new friends it would be terrible to not be able to keep a strong relationship with any of them. College has not only taught me that modern communication, such as; Facebook, Twitter, and Skype are important but also I’ve learned to truly cherish the old fashion way of communicating that we being Americans constantly tend to forget.
I honestly have the greatest parents and grandparents in the entire world and being in college is allowed me to realize how great they really are. My grandpa and I are extremely close and even though I’m away in college and we rarely get to see each other, he continues to send me a letter in the mail every two weeks. No matter what he has to do or what is going on in his life, he has never once forgotten that special letter.  Don’t get me wrong, a good comment on my Facebook wall is nice every now and then but for some reason receiving a letter in the mail is so much more exciting. As much as I love how crucial modern communication is in our lives today, I never want the good ol fashion letters to disappear.
My mom and dad have obviously adapted to the new resources of communication that overwhelms society today but my grandparents are not exactly there yet and probably never will learn to appreciate it the way young college students do. My dad is a huge fan of blogging and tries to do it a couple of times a week, he also has a Facebook and Twitter that he tends to get on every now and then as well. I love to give him a hard time because sometimes it seems that he is texting or on the computer more than my sister and me are (which is probably not actually true, he is just easy to mess with). Even though he’s a huge fan of all of these new things, he takes the time to write my sister and me a simple letter to let us know how much he cares and is thinking about us. There’s no doubt that modern communication is a great aspect to our society but it is always great when you check your mailbox and there is a little letter from your favorite grandpa waiting for you!!

ps.. the site won't let me put a picture on this.. i'll keep trying later :)

-Kimberly Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment